If you are tired of the look in your room and have limited funds, here are five tips to help you change that space and express yourself.
- Area Rugs – Area rugs come in all shapes and sizes. They can be large, small, round or square. When used in heavy traffic areas, they can protect the carpet, hardwood or tile floors underneath. Plus, they add warmth to a space. Area rugs work well in large spaces like a great room, and help to define separate spaces. Use them to separate a seating area for television viewing from an area for playing games or doing homework.
- Mirrors – The reflection from mirrors makes a space appear larger. In the hallway they add length and depth. When placed opposite from windows their refection expands the room by bringing the outside in. They can also be used as table tops to reflect the ceiling and lighting from above.
- Change the Fixtures to Your Home – Just by changing out the hardware on your cupboard doors, you can update the overall appearance of your cabinets. Metal finishes are very popular. Change out discolored face and sockets plates. Don’t forget the faucet fixtures in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Molding – You may need to hire a professional to install molding because it can be expensive, but its make a huge impact. Using chair rails help to divide walls and can make them appear taller. Trim, if placed in a square and rectangular shape create a raised panel look on walls. Adding crown molding adds height to ceilings and helps define the architectural details in the space.
- Change the Flooring – Updating flooring can also be expensive. Estimates are free, so get several. Decide on the flooring that works best in your space. You have several to choose from. Carpet, hardwood and laminated can take a few hours to install; tile floors may take days. To help lower the cost, prep your space my removing all the furniture in advance.
These tips will help you redefine any space and can be made at any time and as often as you desire.